History Fact Sheet
Hudson Hospital & Clinic was inspired and built by the surrounding community. With a common goal of building and sustaining exceptional health care close to home, community members and area businesses have always supported Hudson Hospital & Clinic as volunteers, staff members, financial donors, and in many other ways.
The Phipps Foundation announces its contribution of $70,000 toward a hospital building fund. The Hudson community soon follows as it raises funds to establish Hudson's first healthcare facility.
- Hudson Memorial Hospital opens its doors on January 18, 1953.
- In 1963 a convalescent wing was added to the hospital.
- In 1968 a second floor was added to the convelescent wing and a new maternity unit was added.
In 1977 Hudson Health Foundation was established.
- In 1978 a new wing was added including new laboratories, a special care unit and emergency spaces. Much of the Hudson Memorial Hospital facility is remodeled.
- In 1981 the convelescent wing is closed (the announcement was made in 1978 to allow families to make arrangement). Hudson's Christian Community Home opened in 1981.
- In 1987 Physicians from the Hudson Clinic and St. Croix Valley joined forces and moved from downtown locations to the Hudson Memorial Hospital Campus.
In 1990 Hudson Memorial Hospital begins discussions for creating a new, state-of-the-art health care facility to meet the growing population and demands of the communities we serve.
In 1999 Hudson Memorial Hospital began an affiliation with HealthPartners.
2000 - 2010
- 2001 marks the groundbreaking ceremonies anticipating the grand opening of the new Health Campus in June of 2003.
- January 18, 2003 marks the 50-year anniversary for Hudson Hospital offering health care to the community.
June 29, 2003 is the grand opening of Hudson Health Campus including Hudson Hospital, Hudson Specialty Clinic and Hudson Physicians - WWMA Clinic.
- Healthcare tenants join the campus in 2004 including Programs for Change Chemical Addiction Recovery, Hudson Hearing & Speech Clinic, St. Croix Orthopaedics and Interventional Pain Management.
In May of 2004 Hudson Hospital became a Critical Access Hospital.
In 2004 Hudson Hospital & Clinic began its internationally recognized, award-winning Healing Arts Program.
- In 2006, Hudson Hospital was the recipient of the Hudson Area Chamber of Commerce Business of the Year award.
On December 19, 2008 Hudson Hospital joins HealthPartners Family of Care and changes its name to Hudson Hospital & Clinic.
- In 2009 Hudson Hospital & Clinic purchases 17 acres just east of the campus and announces expansion plans. The purchase will bring the total campus land area to about 40 acres of contiguous property.
- In 2009 Hudson Hospital was a 25 bed Critical Access Hospital with 1,500 annual inpatient admissions
- In 2009 Hudson Hospital was named Western Wisconsin's only Hospitalist Services and the region's only 24/7 Emergency Medicine Physicians
- In 2010, Birth Center nursing staff ranks in the top three percent nationwide according to Press Ganey patient survey data
- In 2010, Hudson Hospital became a regional partner of The Cancer Center of Western Wisconsin
- In 2010 contributed $3.8 million in community benefits
2011 - Present
- In 2011, Hudson Hospital & Clinic was a leader in sustainability efforts within the HealthPartners family of organizations
- In 2011, installed high-definition technology in the Surgery & Procedure Center
- In 2011, Hudson Hospital & Clinic installed a new Toshiba CT Scanner offering patients a 40% reduction in radiation dose
- In 2011, Hudson Hospital & Clinic added HealthPartners Roberts Clinic, a primary care clinic offering family medicine, lab and imaging services
In 2011, Hudson Hospital & Clinic expanded their pediatric specialty services to include the Pediatric Chemotherapy and Infusion Center
- In 2012, being part of the HealthPartners family has enabled Hudson Hospital & Clinic to expand services and plans for a new Medical Office Building. The 41,000 square foot, 2-story facility is expected to be completed in 2013.
- On Leap Day, February 29, 2012 - five babies were born at the Hudson Hospital Birth Center - tying a record for the western Wisconsin hospital. On average, there are less than two births each day at the Birth Center.
- In June 2012, Hudson Hospital & Clinic received two national environmental awards by Practice Greenhealth: “Partner for Change” Award – one of the organization’s Environmental Excellence Awards given each year to honor environmental achievements in health care sector; and “Making Medicine Mercury-Free”, which designates that proven policies have been put in place to rid the facility of the harmful chemical mercury, and to prevent it from re-entering the facility.
- On September 20, 2012, Hudson Hospital was presented with the Sustain Hudson Green Leaf Award. The award recognizes sustainable best practices by individuals, businesses, organizations, and local officials in the Hudson area.
- In 2012, Programs for Change celebrates 25 years of dedication to the community offering treatment and recovery care services for over two and a half decades.
- Hudson Hospital Foundation announced in October 2012 a new partnership with Chad Greenway Lead the Way Foundation to raise funds for pediatric patients and their families to have access to notebook computers, movies and video game systems, stored in a signature “Chad’s Locker.” These games are a welcome distraction for pediatric patients to help occupy their time during their hospital or specialty clinic visits.
- On November 1, 2012, a Ground Breaking event for a New Medical Office Building located on Hudson Hospital’s campus was held. The new facility will provide expansion of Hudson Hospital Specialty Clinics, Internal Medicine Clinic, Infusion Center and Rehabilitation Center, as well as St. Croix Orthopaedics, Hudson Hearing Clinic and Interventional Pain Specialists of Wisconsin. The remaining space will be available to other health care providers.
- On January 1, 2013, HealthPartners and Park Nicollet Health Services announced the completion of their agreement to combine their organizations. The two organizations are officially joined under the name HealthPartners and a single, consumer-governed board of directors.
- On January 18, 2013, Hudson Hospital & Clinic celebrates an anniversary milestone - 60 years offering health care to Hudson and surrounding communities. On January 29, 2013 they also celebrate a 10-year anniversary milestone on their new health campus. An Anniversary Event for the community is planned for June 29, 2013, from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. on the hospital campus.