From the Lactation Consultants at Hudson Hospital Birth Center
Did you know? Hudson Hospital Birth Center offers certified lactation consultants to birthing moms. The goal is to educate moms about the importance of breast milk for their babies.
Benefits to baby:
- creates a special bond for mom and baby
- offers the best nutrients for infants, not found in formula
- babies are known to have a healthier immune system, decreased response to allergies, and are less likely to develop a number of illnesses.
Benefits for mom:
- helps the uterus return to its pre-pregnancy size
- reduces bleeding after birth
- can help protect against breast and ovarian cancer
- helps mom lose weight
- convenience and cost-savings.
- All new moms receive lactation consultation and education on breastfeeding
- New moms who meet certain criteria: nursing twins, mom’s milk is not in, or babies receiving IV glucose offered the option to feed using donor milk at no additional charge
- Hudson is the first hospital in western Wisconsin region to offer donor milk to moms who meet certain criteria with healthy babies
- After they return home, all new moms have access to nursing staff by calling the Birth Center (715) 531-6572
Hudson Hospital Birth Center Milk Depot
Hudson Hospital is the only hospital in Western Wisconsin to offer a human donor milk program. Donor breast milk is used as a bridge to help nourish babies until a birth mother’s milk comes in. Donated breast milk is second only to the mothers own breast milk and provides optimal nutrition.
Interested in donating your surplus milk? Lactating moms are encouraged to donate milk if they meet criteria. Hudson Hospital partners with Mother’s Milk Bank of Iowa which pasteurizes the donated milk, tests for bacteria and freezes and ships to hospitals in the region. Learn more about Hudson Hospital Birth Center Milk Depot!
Learn more about our Hudson Hospital Birth Center!
Join the conversation on our Facebook.
Hudson Hospital & Clinic website and social media does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See additional disclaimer information.