Hi, I'm Jean Weiler, Registered Dietitian and Nutrition Services Manager, Hudson Hospital & Clinic. Welcome to my blog!
Holidays are a time of traditions that include favorite meals and foods. As you celebrate consider these tips to create new traditions for healthier holidays.
- Plan to include all food groups: Vegetables, fruit, lean protein, whole grains, and dairy.
- Eat three meals every day.
- Eat smaller portions; the first bite is the best bite.
- Choose healthier beverages. There are many tasty and satisfying choices of sparkling water and 100% juices with sparkling water. Better yet, make your own infused water. See the recipe below. For variety change-it-up with your own vegetable, fruit, herb combinations.
- Create recipe makeovers. Check-out: https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/myrecipe.aspx . You will be able to build, save, and analyze your favorite recipes and make recipe adjustments for healthier dishes.
- Slowdown to savor meals and to enjoy time with family and friends
Enjoy this healthy beverage recipe this holiday season:
1 teaspoon grated ginger
1 cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
1 lemon, thinly sliced
6 mint leaves
3 quarts water
Make at least 12 hours ahead and store in refrigerator. Serve over ice.
Share your thoughts on starting new healthy traditions and join the conversation on Facebook.
Hudson Hospital & Clinic website and social media does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See additional disclaimer information.