The holidays bring parties and delicious, delectable foods. Here's a few tips on how to stay Happy & Healthy at those Holiday Parties!
Hi, I'm Jean Weiler, Registered Dietitian and Nutrition Services Manager, Hudson Hospital & Clinic - Welcome to my blog!
At the Party
- Plan ahead. You know the food perils that are waiting.
- Contribute a healthy a veggie-based dish. Natural flavors from vegetables and fruit let the natural flavors sing out. Bringing a nutritious dish will be appreciated by health-conscious party-goers and you know a healthy option is available.
- Prioritize your plate. Check out the spread. You don't have to try all of the options on the table - choose the foods you love, sample a few new foods. Make only one trip to the buffet
- Be satisfied with sampling small amounts. The first taste is as good as it gets.
- Skip the higher fat and fried foods. Fill half your plate with salad and raw vegetables, and the other half with a spoonful of low-calorie, energizing foods, like shrimp with a lemon squirt or cocktail sauce. Keep meat servings to a total of 3 ounces, and skip the gravy.
- Pause between sampling. Make sure you still have room for more. If you go on to the dessert table, pick the healthiest choice and a small choice.
- Keep hydrated, but go easy on the alcohol, as it adds 150 calories per drink. Try sparkling water with a twist, seltzer and fruit juice, or vegetable juice cocktail with a dash of hot sauce and a celery stick.
Focus on healthy eating and enjoy the holiday season with friends and family!
Share your holiday party eating tips with us! Join the conversation on Facebook.
Hudson Hospital & Clinic website and social media does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See additional disclaimer information.