Hi, I’m Ann Ripley, Vice President of Operations for Hudson Hospital & Clinic.
Welcome to my blog!
I’d like to share our sustainability philosophy and how we at Hudson Hospital & Clinic are focused on being good stewards by implementing environmentally-friendly practices for a healthier community.
Our sustainability mission – HealthPartners is committed to caring for the places where we live and work, so we can provide a healthier and cleaner community for our employees, members, patients and future generations.
• Expand the use of sustainable and earth-friendly practices that help us work smarter, be healthier and save money
• Encourage employees to participate in and champion/support sustainability practices, at home and at work
• Measure and monitor our progress toward our sustainability goals
• Environmental sustainability – to meet the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs.
Highlights from 2013:
• Awards - Our sustainability efforts were recognized with state and national environmental achievement awards winning the Green Professional level in the WI Green Master’s Program and Practice Greenhealth’s Partner for Change, with Distinction awards for our comprehensive sustainability program including energy efficiency, waste minimization, sector leading sustainable food service, environmentally preferred purchasing and other initiatives.
• Gardens - Our community gardens yielded over 150 pounds of fresh produce this year – with 66 plots tended by gardeners from the community, and staff, including our own Nutrition Services garden feeding hospital patients and staff. Master Gardener sites were dedicated for the Hudson Community Food Shelf.
• Purchasing locally - Supporting communities and purchasing locally-raised beef, pork and fresh produce is an initiative by the hospital Green Team, in partnership with nutrition services, and another great example of our commitment to sustainability.
A few of our 2014 Sustainability goals:
• Reduce paper use, disposable use in Nutrition Services, and increase local purchasing
• Celebrate Earth Day with engagement and activities
• Implement Xcel Energy recommendations
• Participate in medication take back program with the hospital pharmacy
• Perform a waste sort
Share your environmentally-friendly stories and ideas with me on Facebook.
Visit our sustainability web page to learn more.