‘Tis the season for holiday stress – but there are ways to overcome it!
As Hanukkah, Christmas and New Year’s Day draw near, many of us will feel some stress. To cope, here are a few tips that can help you have a stress-free holiday season this year from Hudson Hospital Social Services manager Erika Schendel.
- Keep the lines of communication open. If your children are expecting x, y and z but you are only giving them x, say to them, “Hey, this is what we are going to do this year and it’s OK.”
- Be realistic. Unrealistic expectations may be the largest stressor of all. Don’t compare yourself to an ideal. Instead, feel good about what you’ve accomplished.
- Just say no. Being stretched between multiple commitments is exhausting and will heighten the stress.
- Take time for yourself. It is especially important to exercise and keep up with healthy habits this time of year.
- Give back to the community. Bringing holiday cheer to someone in need will help remind you how blessed you are.
We wish you a happy and stress-free holiday season!