The goal of the Lactation Program at Hudson Hospital Birth Center is to support families in their breastfeeding and/or breast milk feeding goals. The benefits of breastfeeding are well documented for both mom and baby, and exclusive breast milk feeding is recommended through the first 6 months of life. For more information, visit www.kellymom.com.
Benefits to mom include decreased postpartum bleeding, earlier return to postpartum weight, and decreased risk of certain cancers. Benefits to babies include optimal nutrition for infants not found in formula, convenience and cost-savings. Babies who receive exclusive breast milk are known to have a healthier immune system, decreased response to allergies and are less likely to develop a number of illnesses. For more information, visit www.aap.org
All new moms have access to nursing staff by calling the Birth Center (715) 531-6572.
Key features of our Lactation Program:
- Prenatal class to learn how breast milk production works, how to initiate breastfeeding, and what to expect in first few days of baby’s life.
- Register here for the Breastfeeding Class
Birth Center Inpatient
- All patients receive lactation support while in the hospital. Each Birth Center nurse receives annual training on initiating and supporting breastfeeding in the hospital.
- Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultants are on staff to meet with patients having concerns with breastfeeding or breast milk feeding. Lactation magnet
- Donor milk available as option if supplementation is medically required at no additional charge
- Discharge booklet provided, including education on engorgement, pumping, returning to work, etc
- Lactation consultants available by phone to answer any feeding questions you may have after discharge. Call (715) 531-6572
Appointments can be made to meet with a lactation consultant. Common reasons for visits include:
- Slow newborn weight gain
- Low milk supply
- Nipple pain
- Tongue tie evaluation
- Appointments can be made to meet with a lactation consultant. Common reasons for visits include:
- Milk Depot