HealthPartners hospitals among ‘greenest’ in the country
Six hospitals recognized for their environmental efforts
MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. – All six hospitals in the HealthPartners/Park Nicollet organization are among the greenest hospitals in America, according to a national health care organization.
Amery Hospital & Clinic, Methodist Hospital, Regions Hospital, Hudson Hospital & Clinic, Lakeview Hospital and Westfields Hospital & Clinic are all on Becker’s Healthcare’s list of “68 of the greenest hospitals in America” for 2018.
The list is compiled by the editors of Becker’s Hospital Review, based on nominations and research. The hospitals that make the list have made environmental stewardship for their communities a top priority and embraced green projects and conservation.
“HealthPartners comprehensive sustainability programs support our mission, improve the health of our communities and engage our members, patients and colleagues,” said Dana Slade, HealthPartners Director of Sustainability Programs. “This recognition by Becker’s Hospital Review is a reflection of how we work every day to Make Good Happen.”
Among the efforts Becker’s cited were:
• Amery Hospital & Clinic is the first hospital in the world to achieve certification as an Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary.
• Methodist Hospital has reduced 40 percent of its total waste since implementing a new waste minimization program in 2016.
• Regions Hospital has reduced its carbon footprint by focusing on efficient building operations and lowering vehicle miles traveled.
• Hudson Hospital & Clinic committed to eliminating plastic-bottled beverages and Styrofoam by supporting reusable options instead.
• Lakeview Hospital participates in Xcel Energy's community solar program, committing to 969,000 kilowatt hours of solar power per year.
• Westfields Hospital & Clinic has an award-winning community healthy food and nutrition program with an on-site farmers market and community gardens.
This isn’t the first recognition for the hospitals’ sustainability work this year. In May, Practice Greenhealth, the nation’s leading organization dedicated to environmental sustainability in health care, awarded HealthPartners hospitals four Top 25 Environmental Excellence Awards and eight Circles of Excellence Awards. These are the highest honors Practice Greenhealth gives out.
HealthPartners is a consumer-governed, non-profit health care organization with a mission to improve health and well-being in partnership with members, patients and the community. For more information, visit healthpartners.com.